third Guildhall at the turn of the century. Built originally in 1825, it was superseded as
city hall in 1934. Today, the old Guildhall stands within the Maritime Quarter, converted
in 1995 to the National Literature Centre of Wales, or "The Dylan Thomas
Centre". The large canon visible on the left of the picture was a relic of the
Napoleonic wars. It was melted down in order to help the British "war effort"
during the First World War.