original Oxford Street Swansea Market (above) was constructed in 1894. Its giant,
towers were a symbol of Swansea's grandiose aspirations as an industrial world leader,
a fitting invitation to the largest indoor marketplace in Wales and further afield. Regrettably,
the market was almost completely destroyed by German incendiary bombs during WWII, only
the walls and the bottom half of the towers survived. This building was replaced on the
same site in 1961 with the present market - Swansea's fourth in 200 years - designed by
Sir Percy Edwards. The enviable quality of the local fresh produce, from fish to flowers,
is unchanged however !