Weavers Flour Mill, Swansea

Weavers Flour Mill, Swansea, Wales

1906

Weavers Flour Mill and grain store (part of which can be seen on the right of this photograph), was Europe's first reinforced concrete building, built on the basin of Swansea's former North Dock by French engineer Francais Hennebique in 1897. Although it survived the wartime bombs, tragically Weavers was demolished when the dock was filled  to make way for Sainsbury's supermarket. The adjoining Weavers buildings, which could be accessed by boat via a swing bridge, were in proximity to the North dock (to the left). These were cleared to make way for Fabian Way - Swansea's main road artery. Kilvey Hill, rising in the distance, remains unchanged to this day!